Online shopping has decimated the sales of countless large retail chains. Stores are closing around the country, and even more companies are planning store closures in the near future.
Thousands of stores are closing nationwide, check out this list to find which ones.
Retail Locations Closing
The department store that used to carry everything is closing many of its doors this year. By early September, 62 Sears stores will be closing forever.
The company determined that the stores were unprofitable in late May and made the decision to close them. The Auto Centers associated with these stores will also be closing, with the exception of the Trot, Michigan Diehard Auto Center.
Some of the original stores scheduled for closing were removed from the list. Those stores are being further evaluated to determine if they can stay open.
- 10001 N Metro Parkway West Phoenix, AZ
- 100 S Puente Hills Mall, City Industry, CA
- 7902 Citrus Park Town Center, Tampa, FL
- 320 Towne Center Circle, Sanford, FL
- 2201 Henderson Mill Road N.E., Atlanta, GA
- 1300 Southlake Mall, Morrow, GA
- 2100 Pleasant Hill Road, Duluth, GA
- 320 W Kimberly Road, Davenport, IA
- 2 Hawthorn Center, Vernon Hills, IL
- 2 Fox Valley Center, Aurora, IL
- 6136 W Grand Avenue, Gurnee, IL
- 104 West White Oaks Mall, Springfield, IL
- 2415 Sagamore Pkwy S, Lafayette, IN
- 40 Muncie Mall, Muncie, IN
- 6020 E 82Nd Street, Indianapolis, IN
- 1781 Sw Wanamaker Road, Topeka, KS
- Alexandria Mall, Alexandria, LA
- Hwys 114 & 128, Peabody, MA
- Eastfield Mall, Springfield, MA
- 3191 S Linden Road, Flint, MI
- 18900 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI
- 14100 Lakeside Circle, Sterling Heights, MI
- 1212 S Airport Road W, Traverse City, MI
- Shingle Creek Crossing, Brooklyn Ctr, MN
- Miller Hill Mall, Duluth, MN
- 250 S County Center Way, St. Louis, MO
- #1 Chesterfield Mall, Chesterfield, MO
- 1000 Turtle Creek Drive, Hattiesburg, MS
- 1515 Grand Avenue, Billings, MT
- 2800 S Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND
- 300 Quaker Bridge Mall, Lawrenceville, NJ
- 2341 Rt 66, Ocean, NJ
- 2501 Mt Holly Road, Burlington, NJ
- 10000 Coors Bypass N.W., Albuquerque, NM
- 3649 Erie Blvd E, De Witt / Syracuse, NY
- 2400 Elida Road, Lima, OH
- 17271 Southpark Center, Strongsville, OH
- 300 S Hills Village, Pittsburgh / South Hills, PA
- 1000 Robinson Center Drive, Pittsburgh, PA
- 205 W Blackstock Road, Spartanburg, SC
- 3101 N Main Street, Anderson, SC
- 3400 Empire Mall, Sioux Falls, SD
- 2931 Knoxville Center Drive, Knoxville, TN
- 2401 S Stemmons Freeway, Lewisville, TX
- 1800 Green Oaks Road, Fort Worth, TX
- 11200 Lakeline Mall Drive, Cedar Park, TX
- Golden Triangle Mall, Denton, TX
- 4502 S Steele Street, Tacoma, WA
- 425 Union St, Waterbury, CT
- 3420 Oak View Drive, Omaha / Oakview, NE
- 4800 Millhaven Road, Monroe, LA
- 3601 Southern Ave, Shreveport, LA
- 2950 E Texas St, Bossier City, LA
- 6000 Mowry Ave, Newark, CA
- 145 W Hillcrest Dr, Thousand Oaks, CA
- 451 East Altamonte Drive, Altamonte Springs, FL
- 300 W. 14 Mile Rd, Troy, MI
- 4155 State Route 31, Clay, NY
- 4400 S Western Ave, Oklahoma City, OK
- 4588 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA
- 1401 Greenbrier Parkway, Chesapeake, VA
- 53 West Towne Mall C, Madison, WI
Kmart is owned by the Sears Holding company. When the Sears stores were closing, the company also announced Kmart closures.
The 16 stores on this list will be completely closed by September 2018.
- 3180 Highway 2 West, Havre, MT
- 910 North China Lake Blvd, Ridgecrest, CA
- 9881 W 58Th Avenue, Arvada, CO
- 5400 E Busch Blvd, Tampa, FL
- 4303 Nawiliwili Road, Lihue, HI
- 2535 Hubbell Avenue, Des Moines, IA
- 5909 E State Street, Rockford, IL
- 4070 Ryan Street, Lake Charles, LA
- 215 North Central Avenue, Duluth, MN
- 24 34 Barbour Avenue, Passaic / Clifton, NJ
- 2100 Carlisle Avenue, Albuquerque, NM
- 1000 Montauk Highway, West Babylon, NY
- 25301 Rockaway Blvd, Rosedale, NY
- 12350 N E Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR
- 1072 Mountain Laurel Plaza, Latrobe, PA
- 5000 San Dario, Laredo, TX
Brookstone is a popular mall retailer that is being forced to close over 100 of its mall stores this year according to CNBC. After the closings, you will no longer be able to find a physical Brookstone location, unless you are in an airport.
The CEO of Brookstone, PiauPhang Foo, made the announcement earlier this summer. Although the physical mall stores are closing, the company will still be selling quirky products through their online platform and airport stores.
4. The Fresh Market
According to Business Insider, 15 of the 150+ locations will be closing soon. The company has been suffering from the increased competitive pressure from Whole Foods since it was bought by Amazon earlier this year.
- Snellville, GA
- North Druid Hills, GA
- Peoria, IL
- Normal, IL
- Glen Ellyn, IL
- Lincolnshire, IL
- Fishers, IN
- Louisville, KY
- North Charlotte, NC
- Bedford, NH
- Hendersonville, TN
- Winchester, VA
- Charlottesville, VA
- Brookfield, WI
- Fox Point, WI
5. H&R Block
Over 400 locations of this tax service provider will be closing this year. The locations represent 4% of the approximately 10,000 locations around the country.
The closures mark a shift towards more usage of their online tax services as the company strives to be relevant to its consumers.
6. J Crew
The trendy clothing company has announced that it will close 20 stores by the end of 2018. The complete list of stores has not yet been announced.
500 Subways will be closing this year according to Bloomberg. Last year over 800 locations were closed. Even with this huge drop in physical locations, the fast-food chain still has approximately 25,000 stores open today.
The brand is attempting to build its business in other ways.
Eight of these stores will be bought by Harris Teeter.
9. Best Buy
You may or may not remember that Best Buy opened 250 smaller stores in malls around the country. The idea was to attract a new kind of shopper, but the experiment has failed. All of these smaller stores were closed in May of 2018.
10. Bon Ton
The classic department store closed its doors across the country earlier this summer. Bon Ton announced its bankruptcy in April 2018, before the stores began to close. The last of the stores will close on August 21st. That equates to a total of 256 store closings throughout 23 states.
It appears that online operations will continue to run, at least until they are able to liquidate everything.
11. Lord & Taylor
10 of the 50 retail locations will be closing soon according to USA Today. The closing includes its Fifth Avenue location.
The closing a huge blow to America’s oldest department store. However, the company is planning to increase its focus on digital sales and an increasingly optimized store layout to improve its profits.
12. Abercrombie & Fitch
The teen clothing company is continuing to close stores in 2018. Last year the company closed almost 40 stores, this year Abercrombie & Fitch will be closing 60 more. It has not been announced which stores will be closing or if the stores will be Hollister or Abercrombie & Fitch.
13. Foot Locker
110 Foot Locker stores will be closing this year. The closing stores are all underperforming stores that cannot cope with the lack of foot traffic in malls.
It is unclear if the closing Foot Lockers are all the traditional Foot Locker branded stores, or if the closings will include Lady Foot Locker and Kids Foot Locker as well. The company did not post a list of the closing stores, but you will find out soon.
The favorite Mexican food chain is closing its doors around the country. The company announced that it would be closing up to 65 stores earlier this year. Chipotle did not release a list of the stores affected, but you find out soon if your local restaurant is closing or not.
The café chain will be closing approximately 150 company-operated stores in 2019. Although many stores will be closing, apparently there will also be new stores opening up.
It appears that the company is attempting to spread its reach into underdeveloped markets, instead of focusing on the saturated ones.
The health store that is known for offering every possible vitamin combination and health supplement imaginable is planning to close 200 stores in 2018.
The goal to close these 200 stores may be affected by lease negotiations and relocation abilities.
17. J. C. Penney
Sears is not the only department store in trouble. J. C. Penney is closing 8 stores in 2018 after more than 140 stores were closed in 2017. In addition to the 8 stores, the company will also be closing a distribution center.
Over 1,000 employees will be affected by these store closures. Over 650 jobs will be lost with the closing of the distribution center and over 450 employees will be affected by the 8 store closings across the nation.
The stores were scheduled to close in May, so you may already know that your store has closed. If you aren’t sure, then here is the list of affected stores:
- Hampton Village Plaza, St. Louis, MO
- Garden State Plaza, Paramus, NJ
- Sandburg Mall, Galesburg, IL
- Viking Plaza, Alexandria, MN
- Washington Park Mall, Bartlesville, OK
- Cascade Mall, Burlington, WA
- Calexico Store, Calexico, CA
- Know Village Square, Mt. Vernon, OH
The distribution center was closed in Wisconsin earlier this summer.
Even with these closures, J. C. Penney still has over 850 stores operating across the nation.
The closing of Teavana stores is a devastating blow to tea drinkers everywhere. I am a tea drinker and I loved this store, but every single location of Teavana will be closed soon.
You may remember that Starbucks bought the brand several years ago. Starbucks attempted to improve its sales and brand, but apparently, it was not working well enough. So Starbucks has decided to close all Teavana stores.
That is 379 locations across the country. The closings will be starting this year and wrapping up soon. If your store happens to be open, visit one last time before it is gone!
The familiar department store will be closing 11 stores this year. The 11 stores are part of a closing plan that was announced in 2016. The company has been following those announced plans to close about 100 stores nationwide.
In addition to these 11 stores, Macy’s plans to close 19 more stores in the next year or so as leases and agreements expire.
The 11 closed stores were closed in early 2018. You can find the list of closed stores below.
- Laguna Hills Mall, Laguna Hills, CA
- Novato (furniture), Novato, CA
- Westdie Pavilion, Los Angeles, CA
- Stonestown Galeria, San Fransico, CA
- Miami (Downtown), Miami, FL
- The Oaks, Gainesville, FL
- Magic Valley Mall, Twin Falls, ID
- Honey Creek Mall, Terre Haute, IN
- Fountain Place, Cincinnati, OH
- Burlington Town Center, Burlington, VT
- Birchwood Mall, Fort Gratiot Township, MU
20. Ascena Retail Group
Ascena Retail Group announced that it would be closing 268 stores will be closed by the end of the summer. The total number for the “fleet optimization program” was 667. Of the 667, 268 are officially closing and the other 399 stores may close if they cannot obtain rent concessions. It is likely that some of these 399 stores will close because not all landlords are able or willing to give concessions.
The Asenca Retail Group is behind many brands including Dressbarn, Catherines, Ann Taylor, LOFT, Lou & Grey, Lane Bryant, Justice, and Maurices. Any of these brands may be on the closings list, but the company has not yet announced which store would be closed.
Gap and Banana Republic
Gap is planning to close 200 stores under the brands Gap and Banana Republic, but they will be opening 270 stores under the brands Old Navy and Athleta.
Although it is a net gain of store openings for the company, you may be losing a Gap or Banana Republic near you. The company has not provided a list of closing stores, but keep an eye out of clearance sales in your area.
21. Michael Kors
The luxury brand will be closing 100 to 125 stores over the next two years. The plan was announced in 2017, but the company has not provided a list of closing stores. You may want to watch for these clearance sales, discounts at this store could be huge!
22. Sam’s Club
The bulk warehouse club is closing 63 locations across the country, according to Business Insider. The closings happened with almost no outside indication that the stores were in trouble, but either way, they are closing for good.
12 of the closing stores will be converted into e-commerence fulfillment centers. The stores were scheduled to close earlier this year. Here is a compiled list of closed locations:
- 8801 Old Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK 99515
- 1074 N Muldoon Rd, Anchorage, AK 99504
- 48 College Rd, Fairbanks, AK 99701
- 3900 Grants Mill Rd, Irondale, AL 35210
- 2425 E Florence Blvd, Casa Grande, AZ 85194
- 5757 E State Route 69, Prescott Valley, AZ 86314
- 1375 S Arizona Ave, Chandler, AZ 85286
- 15255 N Northsight Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
- 3360 El Camino Ave, Sacramento, CA 95821
- 17835 Gale Ave, City of Industry, CA 91748
- 12540 Beach Blvd, Stanton, CA 90680
- 12920 Foothill Blvd, Sylmar, CA 91342
- 69 Pavilions Dr, Manchester, CT 06042
- 2 Boston Post Rd, Orange, CT 06477
- 355 FL-436, Fern Park, FL 32730
- 7233 N Seacrest Blvd, Lantana, FL 33462
- 5135 S Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33611
- 2994 Turner Hill Rd, Lithonia, GA 30038
- 501 N Randall Rd, Batavia, IL 60510
- 21430 S Cicero Ave, Matteson, IL 60443
- 6600 44th Ave, Moline, IL 61265
- 808 S Illinois Rte 59, Naperville, IL 60540
- 900 S Barrington Rd, Streamwood, IL 60107
- 1055 McHenry Rd, Wheeling, IL 60090
- 460 S Weber Rd, Romeoville, IL 60446
- 3015 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46268
- 10859 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46229
- 4024 Elkhart Rd #1, Goshen, IN 46526
- 9598 Cortana Pl, Baton Rouge, LA 70815
- 9750 Reisterstown Rd, Owings Mills, MD 21117
- 1 Tobias Boland Way, Worcester, MA 01607
- 340 E. Edgewood Boulevard, Lansing, MI 48911
- 32625 Northwestern Hwy, Farmington Hills, MI 48334
- 3745 Louisiana Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426
- 2800 27th Ave S, Moorhead, MN 56560
- 11 Batchelder Rd, Seabrook, NH 03874
- 81 International Dr S, Budd Lake, NJ 07828
- 1900 E Linden Ave, Linden, NJ 07036
- 301 Nassau Park Boulevard, Princeton, NJ 08540
- 2649 Erie Blvd E, Syracuse, NY 13224
- 720 Fairmount Ave, Jamestown, NY 14701
- 700 Elmridge Center Dr, Rochester, NY 14626
- 1600 Marketplace Dr, Rochester, NY 14623
- 5085 Dawn Dr, Lumberton, NC 28360
- 1101 Shiloh Glenn Dr, Morrisville, NC 27560
- 4825 Marburg Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45209
- 9570 Fields Ertel Rd, Loveland, OH 45140
- 1145 Carr 2, Bo Florida Afuera, Barceloneta, 00617, Puerto Rico
- Carr 830, Bayamón, Puerto Rico, 00957
- Carr 3 Km 82 Bo Junquitos, Humacao, 00741, Puerto Rico
- 615 Old Hickory Blvd, Nashville, TN 37209
- 1805 Getwell Rd, Memphis, TN 38111
- 1615 S Loop W, Houston, TX 77054
- 13331 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77077
- 22296 Market Place Dr, New Caney, TX 77357
- 12919 San Pedro Ave, San Antonio, TX 78216
- 741 E Little Creek Rd, Norfolk, VA 23518
- 4571 S Laburnum Ave, Richmond, VA 23231
- 901 S Grady Way, Renton, WA 98057
- 1101 Outlet Collection Way, Auburn, WA 98001
- 13550 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98133
- 7050 Watts Rd, Madison, WI 53719
- 1540 S 108th St, West Allis, WI 53214
Even with the closures, Sam’s Club boasts of 597 locations nationwide.
Times are difficult for retailers across the country. You may have to watch your favorite stores close, but at least try to capitalize on the clearance sales the accompany any store closing.
Is your favorite retailer on the list? Do you know of other retail stores closing?